Do you ever find yourself away from a computer with a lot of time on your hands? Maybe your eyes are just tired from reading too much from the computer screen. Jott Networks has just recently introduced a new service called Jott Feeds that allows any RSS feed to be read to you over your phone. It’s very simple:
- Sign up for a free account with Jott.
- Walk through the simple steps of adding an RSS feed to your Jott Feeds.
- Call the Jott number from your phone – 1-866-JOTT-123.
- When it asks “Who do you want to Jott?” Say, “Jott Feeds.”
- When it asks “Which feed?” say the name of the feed that you assigned in step #2 (i.e. “Book of Mormon,” or “Temple Study”).
- In just a few seconds you will have the feed read to you over the phone by an excellent text-to-speech engine.
- To advance to the next post in the feed press 3. To go back press 1. To select another feed press 0.
I have added a TempleStudy.com Jott Feed badge in the right-hand sidebar for easily adding a Jott Feed of this site to your Jott account. Now wherever you are at you can listen to TempleStudy.com with just your phone. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good.
The excellent thing about this service is that it works with any RSS feed. This means that you could listen to any of the following from your phone from wherever you might be:
- The Book of Mormon – courtesy of Daily Lit (see http://www.dailylit.com/books/book-of-mormon)
- LDS Newsroom – http://feeds.lds.org/LDSNewsRoomTop15
- LDS Latest News – http://feeds.lds.org/ldsInTheNews
- Deseret News LDS Newsline – http://deseretnews.com/dn/lds/index.rss
- Your favorite Bloggernacle blogs – Times & Seasons, By Common Consent, Millennial Star, Mormon Matters, etc.
- Other religious books – http://www.dailylit.com/tags/Religion
- Any of a number of books, including many classics, from Daily Lit
- Or even your email
This works best with feeds that have full content, otherwise it will just read a summary. Also, make sure you have plenty of minutes on your phone plan if you plan on using this very much, or use it during your unlimited off-peak hours.