Buy the Complete Set of The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley

The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley

The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley

A reader asks, “Do you know if it is possible to buy the complete writings, books, etc., of Bro. Nibley in one volume or perhaps on a CD Disc? (surely there must be a demand for this).

It’s not possible to include all of Nibley’s writings in one volume, as the binding would be several feet thick – now that would be one big book! I also don’t know of a single CD that includes all his writings. Most of Hugh Nibley’s writings are now contained in The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, which has become a 19 volume series of books compiled and published by the Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies (FARMS), and the Neal A. Maxwell Institute at BYU.  The Harold B. Lee Library website contains some other unpublished papers.  I don’t know if these will ever be published in book form. And I’m sure there are many other writings that have been left on the edit room floor. Perhaps some day they will be compiled in a series, “Hugh Nibley: The Notebooks.”

For those who don’t mind reading on a digital device, the Neal A. Maxwell Institute has made available on its website the first 14 volumes of the collected works for FREE (which is what Nibley would have preferred anyway).  These volumes are also searchable there, through the website search. The last five volumes, 15-19, are still only available in hardcover currently.

Those of you who like the feel of parchment against your fingertips, I’ve found one seller that offers the entire collected works series of books in a single package.  Their set of the first 18 volumes is available for $699.

You could also just purchase the books individually, or only those ones you need to finish your library of the collected works series. Using the tool below (only visible on the website), put a checkmark next to all the books you would like to buy, and then click on the “Purchase Selected Books” button at the bottom. If you want to purchase all of them, simply press the “Select All” button, which will add a checkmark in all the boxes. Amazon will automatically add all of the books you’ve selected to your shopping cart.

1. Old Testament and Related Studies
  2. Enoch the Prophet
  3. The World and the Prophets
  4. Mormonism and Early Christianity
  5. Lehi in the Desert/The World of the Jaredites/There Were Jaredites
  6. An Approach to the Book of Mormon
  7. Since Cumorah
  8. The Prophetic Book of Mormon
  9. Approaching Zion
  10. Ancient State: The Rulers & the Ruled
  11. Tinkling Cymbals and Sounding Brass: The Art of Telling Tales about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
  12. Temple and Cosmos: Beyond This Ignorant Present
  13. Brother Brigham Challenges the Saints
  14. Abraham in Egypt
  15. Apostles and Bishops in Early Christianity
  16. The Message of Joseph Smith Papyri: An Egyptian Endowment
  17. Eloquent Witness: Nibley on Himself, Others, and the Temple
  18. An Approach to the Book of Abraham
  19. One Eternal Round

Note that purchasing these books through any of the links above will help support the work of this website, TempleStudy.com.  I will receive a small commission on each book sold, and am grateful for your donation.

10 Comments

1. Terry
    Posted March 31, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

I’ve got almost all of the volumes, but would like dust jackets for half of them, since I had most of them when the kids were little and had a tendency to take the dust jackets off the books and rip them up.

2. Tony
    Posted April 1, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I feel, after seeing these all lined up, like I have died and gone to heaven.
    Not to start a drool fest, but you might say that I could easily ‘covet’ these volumes.

3. Posted April 20, 2010 at 2:20 am | Permalink

That would be awesome to get any of Hugh Nibley’s volumes on audio book. Truman G Madsen’s audiobooks had an impact on me while I was serving a mission.

4. Posted April 20, 2010 at 6:16 am | Permalink

I would absolutely help make audiobooks of Nibley’s Collected Works series if I could find a sponsor.

5. Matt Turner
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I wanted a better way to read the free online Nibley books, so I’ve made a script that makes ePub ebooks out of them and the Maxwell Institute’s other online books. The script is available at http://staff.washington.edu/mdturner/personal.htm

6. Danny de Hoyos
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Here is a great resource for finding many audio recordings of Dr. Nibley’s lectures.

7. Daniel Ramos
    Posted January 7, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I am looking for a CD of Hugh Nibley’s best work on the apostasy and the ancient church. If there is more than one needed to cover these two topics that is fine. I do not know much about this other than that it is to be a present for my son and this is what he is requesting. He has asked for it in CD. Can you help me?
    Thanks, Danny

8. Posted January 7, 2013 at 9:54 am | Permalink

There are a number of MP3s of Nibley available here: http://www.eveoutofthegarden.com/p/hugh-nibley-mp3.html

Perhaps you could build a custom CD from some of those talks.

9. Ian
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

have you thought about talking to BYU and asking to use a sound studio to record it yourself? They might let you do it if you give them rights to it?

10. Terry Foraker
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Daniel–you’re probably thinking of the series “Time Vindicates the Prophets” which Nibley delivered over the radio in the 1950s. You can download them from here: http://myldslinks.podbean.com/category/hugh-nibley/time-vidicates-the-prophets/.