Since I was young I’ve often held as my claim to fame that I am distantly related to Creed Haymond (1893-1983, first cousin three times removed), the early 20th century track athlete, whose story about the Word of Wisdom has been told several times over the pulpit in General Conference.1 I thought that was pretty neat, and there was a short children’s book published, The Creed Haymond Story: How He Learned That the Word of Wisdom Is True, by Jay Todd, which I often read as a child.
Over the years, I’ve learned a little more about Creed Haymond. Apparently he was accepted to compete with the U.S. team at the 1920 Summer Olympics, but he was injured before the competition.2 He eventually became a dentist, and served in many capacities within the Church, including as mission president in the Northern States Mission, general board member of the Young Men’s Mutual Improvement Association, and a patriarch (while President James E. Faust served as president of the Cottonwood Stake). His wife, Elna Parkinson Haymond, served as a member of the Relief Society General Board.3 [Read more…]
- The General Conference talks that were given were:
- Elder L. Tom Perry, “Run and Not Be Weary,” October 1996
- President James E. Faust, “The Enemy Within,” October 2000
The Creed Haymond story has also been told other times within the Church and elsewhere:
- Primary 6: Old Testament manual, (1996), 176–79
- Joseph J. Cannon, “Speed and the Spirit,” Improvement Era, Oct. 1928, 1001–7
- “I Can’t Do It, Coach,” in Inspiring Stories for Young Latter-day Saints, comp. Leon Hartshorn , pp. 123–28.
- Family Home Evening Resource Book, (1997), 228
- Statistical Report, 1982. His passing was noted in General Conference: “W. Creed Haymond, noted athlete and church leader.”
- “Friend to Friend: Callings and Prophets,” Friend, May 2003
- The Gospel and the Productive Life Teacher Manual Religion 150, (2004), 55–60
- “FYI: For Your Information,” New Era, April 1981
- Alden M. Higgs, “From Battlefield to Mission Field,” Ensign, July 2003
- Books for Latter-day Saints: 1980 Update, Ensign, October 1980
- 2009 Deseret Morning News Church Almanac (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Morning News), p. 326.
- Creed Haymond’s obituary
- The Creed Haymond Story: How He Learned That the Word of Wisdom Is True, by Jay Todd
- Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creed_Haymond [↩]
- Obituary – Creed Haymond’s obituary [↩]