The Interpreter Foundation has announced a forthcoming conference, the 2014 Temple on Mount Zion Conference to be held in 251 TNRB (N. Eldon Tanner Building) on the campus of Brigham Young University, in Provo, Utah, on 25 October 2014. More details can be found at the Interpreter website, and a schedule of presentations is also available. The event is open to the public, and is free. It will be video recorded, and videos will be made available in the weeks following the conference.
The Church is launching a worldwide initiative today, Palm Sunday, that will run through this week, ending Easter Sunday, “focusing on the hope, healing, and salvation made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” The initiative is titled “Because of Him.”
The 42nd Annual Sidney B. Sperry Symposium this year will be focused on the topic of the temple, specifically “Ascending the Mountain of the Lord: Temple, Praise, and Worship in the Old Testament.” It will be held on Saturday, October 26, 2013, in the Joseph Smith Building (JSB) auditorium and adjacent buildings at BYU in Provo, Utah. Admission is free, and no registration required. It is open to the general public.
Below is a comprehensive list of all the scholars presenting and their topics. It is a smorgasbord of fantastic scholarship that will be presented on the temple. There will be seven concurrent sessions going on, so you’ll need to pick and choose very carefully which presentations to attend. Fortunately, many of the papers will be published. [Read more…]
The Academy for Temple Studies has posted a detailed schedule, including abstracts of the presentations, for the upcoming “The Lady of the Temple” Conference which will take place in Logan, Utah, on October 23, 2013. Click here to see the schedule and abstracts.
Don’t forget to register for the conference, as seating will be limited.
The temple conference that was held in Logan, Utah, on October 29, 2012, entitled Mormonism and the Temple: Examining an Ancient Religious Tradition has had its proceedings published in book form. This book has been available to conference attendees, and for ordering for several months. The proceedings are now also available for free in PDF format for download. Click here to download the proceedings book.
This book includes presentations from the following:
- Gary N. Anderson, Philip L. Barlow, and John W. Welch, “About This Publication”
- Philip L. Barlow, “Welcome and Opening Comments by Presenters”
- Margaret Barker, “Restoring Solomon’s Temple”
- Laurence Paul Hemming, “Chapel, Church, Temple, Cathedral: Lost Parallels in Mormon and Catholic Worship”
- Margaret Barker and Laurence Hemming, “Questions and Answers”
- John F. Hall, “Ancient Mediterranean Temple Ceremonies: Vestiges of the Rites of Enoch and Precursors to the Hebrew Temple Ceremonial”
- John W. Welch, “The Temple, the Sermon on the Mount, and the Gospel of Matthew”
- Daniel C. Peterson, “A Divine Mother in the Book of Mormon?”
- Danel W. Bachman, “A Temple Studies Bibliography”
- LeGrande Davies, “Temples–Bridges of Eternity”
- John L. Fowles, “The Temple, the Book of Revelation, and Joseph Smith”
- John W. Welch and Presenters, “Closing Comments”
Videos of the presentations are also available online.