“Temples and Ritual in Antiquity” SANE Symposium at BYU

David Larsen posted a great notice over at Heavenly Ascents of the upcoming “Temples and Ritual in Antiquity” Symposium that will be held at BYU on November 7th, 2008.  It is being presented by the Students of the Ancient Near East (SANE), and will have both students and top scholars presenting papers on the temple in antiquity.  In fact, David will be presenting there too, as well as Andrew Miller.  I will certainly be going to this symposium!  It will be like Christmas morning, a smorgasbord of insight in temple studies.

I will see if I can liveblog the event here on TempleStudy.com.  The FAIR Conference liveblog (Day 1 & Day 2) seemed to work out well and was beneficial to many people.  Unfortunately, they have three speakers going at once, so we’ll only be able to attend 1/3 of all the exceptional presentations that will be presented.  It’s a shame they had to consolidate since all of the presentations are no doubt going to be excellent.  It appears that a selection will be “printed in a publication from the Religious Studies Center, and several others will be printed in Studia Antiqua” (link).  (I’m still trying to find a way to go to Margaret Barker’s Temple Study Symposium in Oxford the next day, November 8th, and Bill Hamblin’s Temple Study SBL group in Boston a couple weeks later).

[Update 8/19/08: Dan McClellan has posted a nice schedule of the presentations, as well as short bios of the presenters, on his blog here.]

See the poll below (viewable only from the website):

[poll id="3"]

6 Comments

1. Posted August 18, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Who is this Andrew Miller hack?

2. Posted August 18, 2008 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

So, considering the time difference between Provo and Oxford, it would be near impossible to attend both the SANE symposium and Barker’s. Too bad. But it’s ok to dream, right?

3. Posted August 19, 2008 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Bill Hamblin also informed me today that the Temple Study group at the SBL this November is mostly going to be a business meeting, with organization and administration of the new group, without any papers presented per se. So I guess we’ll wait until next year to go to that one. :)

4. Posted August 20, 2008 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the link, Bryce. I hope to meet you and many of your readers there at BYU. And I also wish I could make it to Margaret Barker’s conference the next day, as well. If I any of my trees start growing money, maybe I’ll be able to. It doesn’t help that Nov. 7 is my 10th wedding anniversary, as well. My wife would be even more upset if besides taking a trip to Utah I also went to England! I surely hope it is taped or that the papers are published!

5. maklelan
    Posted September 29, 2008 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Just so everyone is aware, we’ve had three changes to the schedule. Bryan Kerr will no longer be presenting in the Egypt session, but Kerry Muhlestein will take his place with Alyssa Lewis, presenting on the role of violent rituals in the Egyptian Temple. Seth Kohrman has also withdrawn, and Aaron Snyder will take his place, presenting on the prayer circle in early Christianity. Daniel McClellan is the last to withdraw, and he will be replaced by Donald Parry, presenting a paper entitled “Eve, Eden, and the Temple.” An updated schedule is available here:

6. Posted September 29, 2008 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the update!

One Trackback

1. [...] “Temples And Ritual In Antiquity” Symposium At BYU. Sounds interesting. Let’s hope transcripts will be available for those of us with jobs making it hard to attend these sorts of things. [...]