I’m always looking for better ways of accessing, searching, and reading the scriptures. They are truly the words of eternal life. Whenever I hear of a new way of encountering the scriptures, I check it out. DearScriptures.com is an online version of the scriptures that now allows you to text message (SMS) or instant message (IM) scripture references to it, or search for scriptures, and it will reply with the references and/or text of the scripture(s). It includes other great features as well, such as searching hymns and retrieving hymn lyrics. And it’s all free! [Read more…]
A few days ago I posted a request for thoughts on the temple. I’ve received a few messages from some readers, but not as many as I would like. We’d really like to hear from more of you. I think this could be a very powerful missionary tool for all of us.
What does the temple mean to you? Why do you go to the temple? Do you have a short experience you’d like to share? Do you have a testimony of the temple you think others could benefit hearing? Does the temple have an important place in your life? What have you learned about the temple that you’d like to teach others about? Is the temple a blessing to you? How has the temple changed your life? What is it that makes the temple different from the rest of ordinary life? Have you been privileged to do temple work for your ancestors? What was it like? Are you grateful for the temple? Why? Has the temple brought you closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ?
Here is an excellent example from a convert who has been a member of the Church for 11 years, and who has a genuinely powerful testimony of the temple. Press the play button below:
Thank you, brother, for sharing with us your witness and testimony of the temple and the Holy Ghost. You’ve blessed my life today.
What could you share with us about the temple?
The method is the same. Just click the “Call Me” button below, enter in your name (or “anonymous”), your phone number, select “keep number private,” and then click “Connect.” You will receive a phone call and be connected straight to the TempleStudy.com voicemail where you can share with us your message (3 minute limit). In a few days I’ll select some to share with everyone.
Feel free to be a missionary today and share what the temple means to you. It’s easy and you could make a positive difference in someone’s life by something you share.
So, we’re going to try something a little different and creative, something that I haven’t seen done anywhere else on the internet, and certainly not in the Bloggernacle, so we’re setting a new precedent here. You get to hear so much from me, but we don’t often get to hear from you, the readers, except very briefly in the comments or sometimes in private emails with me. I’d like to hear more of your thoughts, insights, stories, feelings, testimonies, things you’ve learned, good books you’ve found, and experiences about the temple. What does the temple mean to you? I want to hear your voices! You all have so many rich things to share that could add to our understanding of the temple, and I want to tap into that treasure-trove of faith and cumulative voice. [Read more…]
Do you ever find yourself away from a computer with a lot of time on your hands? Maybe your eyes are just tired from reading too much from the computer screen. Jott Networks has just recently introduced a new service called Jott Feeds that allows any RSS feed to be read to you over your phone. It’s very simple:
- Sign up for a free account with Jott.
- Walk through the simple steps of adding an RSS feed to your Jott Feeds.
- Call the Jott number from your phone – 1-866-JOTT-123.
- When it asks “Who do you want to Jott?” Say, “Jott Feeds.”
- When it asks “Which feed?” say the name of the feed that you assigned in step #2 (i.e. “Book of Mormon,” or “Temple Study”).
- In just a few seconds you will have the feed read to you over the phone by an excellent text-to-speech engine.
- To advance to the next post in the feed press 3. To go back press 1. To select another feed press 0.
I have added a TempleStudy.com Jott Feed badge in the right-hand sidebar for easily adding a Jott Feed of this site to your Jott account. Now wherever you are at you can listen to TempleStudy.com with just your phone. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good.
The excellent thing about this service is that it works with any RSS feed. This means that you could listen to any of the following from your phone from wherever you might be:
- The Book of Mormon – courtesy of Daily Lit (see http://www.dailylit.com/books/book-of-mormon)
- LDS Newsroom – http://feeds.lds.org/LDSNewsRoomTop15
- LDS Latest News – http://feeds.lds.org/ldsInTheNews
- Deseret News LDS Newsline – http://deseretnews.com/dn/lds/index.rss
- Your favorite Bloggernacle blogs – Times & Seasons, By Common Consent, Millennial Star, Mormon Matters, etc.
- Other religious books – http://www.dailylit.com/tags/Religion
- Any of a number of books, including many classics, from Daily Lit
- Or even your email
This works best with feeds that have full content, otherwise it will just read a summary. Also, make sure you have plenty of minutes on your phone plan if you plan on using this very much, or use it during your unlimited off-peak hours.